Caminando Unidos (Walk United) is a civil association that works with marginalized families who are exposed to violence, including but not limited to; child abuse, gendered violence, and substance abuse. We are governed by, and work towards the needs of our culturally diverse society. Caminando Unidos is a place of learning and community, we provide a space for individuals to learn, teach and support one another. By providing social welfare and educational programs for children, youth, women and families we support the healthy development of the individual, the family unit and the greater community.
Caminando Unidos started working in the community of Ahuehuetitla in 1990, building a community library and tutoring children. Through this work, we saw that there were other community needs that were not being met and our work began to expand. Our education program grew to include classes on literacy, cultural, personal development, as well as skills trainings. Additional programs were also added to address; nutrition, health, substance abuse and violence. Our work runs entirely on donations, community contributions and volunteers. As our programs grew, our philosophy and approach evolved to include the research of Dr. Miguel Ruiz and John David Garcia. Dr. Ruiz focuses on personal freedom, based on Toltec culture, and Garcia’s approach revolves around creative transformation through experiential learning. Caminando Unidos took Dr. Ruiz and Garcia’s research to create a unique learning experience that is not offered anywhere else. The curriculum we developed is nonlinear, taking the emphasis out of delivering knowledge, instead focusing on discussion and hands-on learning. Through our nonlinear curriculum we have seen both individuals and communities improve, and actively seek ways to continue this progress. We believe that to strengthen the individual is to create a leader who fights for a better tomorrow, who reaches for their dreams and seeks to improve their community.
To be a space of learning, acceptance and educational formation within the lines of containment, which is mainly directed to families that live in marginalization and violent conditions. This is done through an innovative method that encourages human dignity and improves living conditions.
Become a place where the exchange of alternative educational methods can take place and where the retention and exchange of its participants is achieved at a national and international level. In addition to strengthening our educational methodology, we want our daily work to contribute to bringing a dignified way of living for our communities.
In Caminando Unidos we have work with families surrounding the “Lomas de Cortés” district, located north east of the city of Cuernavaca, in Morelos, México. These families live in conditions of marginalization and violence. We have seen domestic violence, media and narcotraffic related violence, which oftentimes leads to drug abuse or becoming trapped in cycles of violence and criminal behavior.
Currently, Caminando Unidos attends to nearly 50 families, Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 2:30pm. Become a place where the exchange of alternative educational methods can take place and where the retention and exchange of its participants is achieved at a national and international level. In addition to strengthening our educational methodology, we want our daily work to contribute to bringing a dignified way of living for our communities.
- Honesty: speak the truth and to get real information, which allows us to predict and control our environment.
- Solidarity: be there for one another; giving of our time and capacity in whatever way is needed.
- Responsibility: learn from and take care of the impact my actions have.
- Dignity: recognize ourselves as valuable individuals; capable and worthy of anything we strive for.
- Respect: exercise it by taking care of those who are young and showing those who are older the appropriate respect that comes with that position. .
- Gratitude: recognize everything that benefits our lives; and honor its source.
- Hospitality: accept others as they are and share what we have with them.
- Continue to provide a space where acceptance and personal control is used to increase learning and higher level of development.
- To strengthen our innovative methods.
- To foster dignified lives through our Social Welfare program.
(Feeding, nutrition, basic medical attention, hygiene, clothing,, recreation and sports).
- To be a center where the exchange of alternative educational methods take place.
- To obtain the necessary resources to guarantee organization sustainability at all levels.
- To have a greater impact in the community.
- To strengthen our leadership program.
- To improve sales activities so we can achieve student retainment, thus allowing us to exchange experiences and teaching techniques. To support the increase and diversification of self-sufficient income generating activities, allowing students to exchange experiences and teach each others new skills.